Forum New Posts Notifier for NiftyHost
04-09-2011, 12:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2011, 12:37 AM by RichardGv.)
RE: Forum New Posts Notifier for NiftyHost
The script hasn't been updated for almost half a year, since I'm too lazy to publish the revisions I made. And I think there's nobody else using my script except me right now. :) But here it is, anyway:
Nightly 20110408:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/283669/python/ne...0110408.py
This revision includes many many changes so here's an annoyingly lengthy changelog:
  1. Fixes the login issue of NiftyHost. Somehow the Cloudflare servers that you are using don't send cookies correctly when the script has a Python-ish user agent string. I added a fake Firefox user agent to deal with it. (Beware that this user-agent may break the operating system statistics of NiftyHost since it's a Linux x86_64 one. :) Don't consider that you have slept for 20 years (the future belongs to Linux!) when you wake up and find 60% of visits to NiftyHost forums come from Linux machines, Zack.)
  2. Added custom HTTP header support.
  3. Added DNS cache support to improve the speed for a little bit. Very ugly hack it is, though.
  4. Better exception handling. The script is less likely to (yet still could possibly) exit automatically when it encounters an unhanded exception.
  5. Added login formhash support for Discuz forums. Support for the "UCWeb forum" was added since one of my friends requested so, but it cannot check for new posts since seemingly Discuz doesn't support read/unread system at all! So essentially it can be used to periodically DDOS a Discuz forum only. :)
  6. It should now be cross-platform out-of-box. I added platform detection to the script. This brings the possibility to, for instance, run the script from a Dropbox directory that is shared between a Windows system and a *nix one.
  7. On *nix systems it prints messages with colors (ANSI escape sequences) by default.
  8. Improved the modularity of the script so now it's easier to customize it.
  9. More comments about the configuration options. I found writing comments harder than writing code since I always have to consider if an expression is appropriate in English -- which is my second language. :)
And nah, this is still nightly. It may cook a fried CPU as your breakfast "automagically" and "for free". Use it at your own risk! :D
Gentoo Linux User (w/ fvwm) / Loyal Firefox User / Owner of a Stupid Old Computer - My PGP Public Key

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
-- Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions (1624), John Donn

Messages In This Thread
RE: Forum New Posts Notifier for NiftyHost - by RichardGv - 04-09-2011, 12:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How did you find Niftyhost? Serial Thrilla 21 4,676 06-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Jennifer
  NiftyHost Server Monitor (created by Piotr GRD) Piotr GRD 21 11,917 01-18-2012, 05:12 AM
Last Post: Serial Thrilla
  OMG COLORS! A Niftyhost Production pspboy 12 3,853 01-18-2012, 05:01 AM
Last Post: Serial Thrilla
  NiftyHost Affiliate System MyDigitalpoint 4 1,798 10-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Last Post: cuckooz
Information How To Run A Board Forum Like myBB And SMF in Your Own PC [just for fun]! KSubedi 31 17,403 08-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Last Post: MyDigitalpoint
  Niftyhost (Forums) reaches 500 registered members Vanilla 36 7,337 06-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Last Post: micro