How To Run A Board Forum Like myBB And SMF in Your Own PC [just for fun]!
06-13-2010, 04:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2010, 04:38 PM by KSubedi.)
Information  How To Run A Board Forum Like myBB And SMF in Your Own PC [just for fun]!
Ok lets get started, firstly, download a web server and a php installation zipped file. read the instructions in the php installation readme file and merge it to the web server. then download mysql server and merge it to the web server in the same way. and if you want to skip all the boring things mentioned above, just download a package called WAMP http://www.wampserver.com/en/ and install it. then download your favourite forum or board software and coopy it to the web directory [depends upon the server software but i am sure u will figure it out] . then simply type "localhost" in your browser and sit back and see your forum software running .....in your own pc. [you can use any php software not only forums]. here is a link to a brief article - http://ksubedi.co.cc/run-a-board-forum-o...d-php-490/ :D
If Nothing Goes Right, Go Left :D

Regards,
Kaushal Subedi
Niftyhost.US Staff
WireShock.Com Owner
[Image: 936729918.png]
06-14-2010, 12:15 AM,
RE: How To Run A Board Forum Like myBB And SMF in Your Own PC [just for fun]!
That's not much of a tutorial. Try giving more specific instructions, not generalized pointers.
Hi! I'm Zach, and I founded NiftyHost. If you need anything, just PM me! :)
06-14-2010, 04:20 AM,
hmm......ok zack next time its gonna be a full tutorial :D

Regards,
Kaushal Subedi
Niftyhost.US Staff
WireShock.Com Owner
06-16-2010, 11:55 AM,
Sounds cool, but it could only be used to talk to yourself :P And that would be kinda weird, right?
Hey.
06-16-2010, 12:31 PM,
Well, meh. You COULD open a port in your firewall and risk your home network.

I suspect this could be used for testing mods and themes? Development perhaps.
Hi! I'm Zach, and I founded NiftyHost. If you need anything, just PM me! :)
06-17-2010, 03:07 AM,
You don't need to open a port if you only want to test in on your own computer.
With love,
HiddenKnowledge
A.k.a. Yoruichi Shihouin

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me trough email or pm. :)
06-18-2010, 04:42 AM,
(06-17-2010, 03:07 AM)HiddenKnowledge Wrote: You don't need to open a port if you only want to test in on your own computer.

right, and you can test mods and themes and stuffs like that :D

Regards,
Kaushal Subedi
Niftyhost.US Staff
WireShock.Com Owner
06-30-2010, 04:49 AM,
I do not prefer to use my own pc to host forums because the environment is not stable and unreliable at all
06-30-2010, 04:51 AM,
(06-30-2010, 04:49 AM)khy Wrote: I do not prefer to use my own pc to host forums because the environment is not stable and unreliable at all

Lol, so your pc is unstable and not reliable at all?
With love,
HiddenKnowledge
A.k.a. Yoruichi Shihouin

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me trough email or pm. :)
06-30-2010, 10:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2010, 10:02 AM by RichardGv.)
I generally use XAMPP as the test environment, with no port open, i.e. my firewall blocks all incoming connections.

(06-30-2010, 04:49 AM)khy Wrote: I do not prefer to use my own pc to host forums because the environment is not stable and unreliable at all

Well, you should not use your own PC to host any productive sites, due to the limited upload bandwidth and the resource requirement of a server (A server is designed to run 24x7, but if you want a desktop computer to run 24x7... It's going to overheat and burn your house someday.), not to mention some Internet connections use dynamic IPs. A desktop PC that is "stable and reliable" in the normal desktop usage is not necessarily a stable and reliable server. Actually, it's very likely not.
Gentoo Linux User (w/ fvwm) / Loyal Firefox User / Owner of a Stupid Old Computer - My PGP Public Key

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
-- Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions (1624), John Donn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Forum New Posts Notifier for NiftyHost RichardGv 20 14,589 05-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Last Post: RichardGv