[old] Hullo World
06-30-2010, 03:06 AM,
[old] Hullo World
G'evening,

I'm Sevis, a secondary school student from Russia, currently living in the Netherlands. I'm mostly interested in Linux and programming, currently working on a designing a processor. Was invited to the local IRC channel by HiddenKnowledge, and this place looked fun.
06-30-2010, 03:11 AM,
RE: Hullo World
Hi, Sevis
Hi! I'm Zach, and I founded NiftyHost. If you need anything, just PM me! :)
06-30-2010, 03:15 AM,
Welcome to Niftyhost Sevis. :)
I am sure you are going to enjoy this place.
Just be sure to stick to the rules. :P
With love,
HiddenKnowledge
A.k.a. Yoruichi Shihouin

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me trough email or pm. :)
06-30-2010, 07:53 AM,
Heya Sevis! Welcome to NH! :)
06-30-2010, 09:59 AM,
Hey Sevis, Welcome to Nifty Host!
[Image: tuyy.png][Image: yr0x.png][Image: xyts.png]
Feel free to PM me if you have any problems with your hosting.
NiftyHost Forum Rules
06-30-2010, 10:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2010, 12:28 PM by RichardGv.)
(06-30-2010, 03:06 AM)Sevis Wrote: ... I'm mostly interested in Linux and programming, currently working on a designing a processor...
(06-30-2010, 03:22 AM)Sevis Wrote: ...am writing my own assembly language.

*Cough* I wonder whether writing "your own" assembly language (I comprehend this as developing your own instruction set, is it?) makes much sense if no manufacturer decides to create a series of processors with your instruction set. :)
Also, I'm a bit curious: Which type of processor are you designing?
  1. CISC, or RISC?
  2. 4-bit? 8-bit? 16-bit? 32-bit? 64-bit? 128-bit?
  3. For your custom instruction set: Length of instruction words?
  4. Length of Opcode?
  5. Hardwired control unit, or Microcode control unit?
  6. Are there any caches present in your processor? I hope I won't hear you want to use 8GB of SRAM as cache. :) Most people would have no interest in buying a processor that costs more than a million dollars.
  7. How many registers are planned?
Also, glad to see another Linuxer. Linuxers are getting a lot of more younger recently and I feel competed. :) Which distribution are you using? Debian, Arch, LFS, Gentoo, Slackware, or any other derivations?
Gentoo Linux User (w/ fvwm) / Loyal Firefox User / Owner of a Stupid Old Computer - My PGP Public Key

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
-- Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions (1624), John Donn
06-30-2010, 01:48 PM,
Hi, Sevis
06-30-2010, 07:05 PM,
Thanks, everyone.

RichardGv, yep, I'm designing my own instruction set, plus writing a program to run the machine code (mostly to test whether the instruction set is sane), plus writing an assembler, plus either making a circuit in TkGate or programming a FPGA. I'm currently leaning towards the TkGate option, designing some basic peripherals seems easier than making the thing interact with real hardware (and besides, I doubt it'll be something that will be used in PCs).

To answer your questions one by one:
  1. CISC
  2. 32-bit data bus, address bus, and largest register (although still subject to change, it started out as 4-bit...)
  3. 32-bit words for pretty much everything.
  4. 8-bit opcode, can be expanded to 9-bit later (instruction has one free bit)
  5. Microcode control unit
  6. No cache planned for now.
  7. 128 addresses, half of them user addressable, about evenly split between 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit. Actually comes out as less, as many are parts of others (for example, 8-bit register B0 is the least significant byte in 32-bit register W0).

I have the feeling that by the time I finish this processor, I'll be horrified by how awful it is, and will remake large parts: most notably the registers and 32-bit multiplication (shifting instead of looped adding). On the other hand, things have been developing steadily, although I've had the feeling I couldn't possibly manage to do anything more in the time I have available: this is a school project, and is due in December.

I've got a Google Code page set up for this architecture, http://code.google.com/p/sevarch/, if you're interested. Once I've got an assembler and emulator/simulator (machine code interpreter) going, I'll write a C compiler and kernel for this thing.

I'm a Gentoo user as well, but have an LFS machine I play around with occasionally.
06-30-2010, 07:15 PM,
(06-30-2010, 10:41 AM)RichardGv Wrote: Also, glad to see another Linuxer. Linuxers are getting a lot of more younger recently and I feel competed. :) Which distribution are you using? Debian, Arch, LFS, Gentoo, Slackware, or any other derivations?

You never asked. :P
* HiddenKnowledge uses linux too whenever possible.
With love,
HiddenKnowledge
A.k.a. Yoruichi Shihouin

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me trough email or pm. :)
06-30-2010, 08:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2010, 08:11 PM by RichardGv.)
(06-30-2010, 07:05 PM)Sevis Wrote: I'm a Gentoo user as well, but have an LFS machine I play around with occasionally.

Cool. I don't use LFS because it's harder to maintain (no package management system), and there's not a centralized place in which I can ask about problems related to all packages.

(06-30-2010, 07:15 PM)HiddenKnowledge Wrote: You never asked. :P
* HiddenKnowledge uses linux too whenever possible.

Well, I remember last time we talked, months ago, you were not using Linux. (The time that I complained about kernel configuration issue). So, you are using Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mint, or something surprising?
So many Linux users... When someday everybody is using Linux, I will probably consider migrating to BSD. :)
Gentoo Linux User (w/ fvwm) / Loyal Firefox User / Owner of a Stupid Old Computer - My PGP Public Key

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
-- Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions (1624), John Donn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink [old] Hello World! RaisenBran 3 1,282 09-03-2011, 02:06 AM
Last Post: pspboy
  [old] Hello world! gamingmaster42 1 768 08-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Zach
  [old] Hello, World Tierney 8 1,985 04-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Tierney