Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Determines Whether You Like A Song
08-08-2011, 12:38 PM,
What Determines Whether You Like A Song
Just curious as to how everyone determines whether or not they like a song. Do you base it off the lyrics, beats, artist? When it comes to rap, I base it on the hook because I'm not really a fan of rapping. Other songs I mainly listen to the beat. If I like the beat then I'll listen to it. The next thing I consider is the lyrics, but only after I've decided I liked the beat.
08-08-2011, 12:46 PM,
RE: What Determines Whether You Like A Song
I based what i listen to off of the beat and the hook. There are certain artists I hate that i will not name because they have the corniest lyrics and voice and the only thing that's good is the beat. So for me it depends, overall, on how everything comes together in the end.
08-08-2011, 08:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2011, 08:30 PM by Cecil15.)
For me, the beat comes first. If I like it then I would memorize the lyrics. If the lyrics are good and makes sense then I'd really like it.
I usually like the bridge part of the song, which is always with high notes.
And then I'll know who's the artist. If it's one of my favorites then I'd download it for my phone. :D
08-09-2011, 11:28 AM,
I believe beat is the main thing for me, lyrics not at all and not always good.

I remember one of favorite songs is "Wolverine" but just the dumb, dumb, dumb that you can listen in the Nintendo game repeating over and over "Wolverine..." I even recorded a 30-minute cassette with that repetitive rhythm!!!!

However another thing that catch my ears is a melodious voice, in example that of Sade in "Smooth Operator" and yeah, I'm more jazzy than any other rhythm.
MyDigitalpoint PRO Freelance Marketplace
08-25-2011, 04:34 AM,
I used to always hate when a song just starts very nice and then.. when the beat comes it just changes up to a whole new song and kills the whole mood lol.
10-21-2011, 05:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-21-2011, 08:51 AM by artistry.)
....I like a song if I like the music. If the music does not cut it, I don't want to know the lyrics. because it will not work for me. I figure if a song has good music, it doesn't matter if it has words or lyrics, it starts with a good beat and good music, then we can expand. How many songs do you hum, without remembering the lyrics? Good music, good song. Just to add, if words and music come together, therein lies a great song. Cheers.
11-29-2011, 01:28 PM,
Well, this is quite a question I for me, being a musician for the most part. First thing I listen to is purely the sound quality - the lyrics are secondary. I look at intelligence or intricacies of the composition of the music first. Next I look at the individual choices of the sounds used, then how they all fit together. If the instrumental has disagreeing tones, it's an instant no-go. After that, I look at the way the voice sounds with the instrumental; again, if those disagree, I stop listening. After I'm done analyzing the intelligence in aesthetic choices, I move on to the lyrics. The more meaning, the better.

I wont bore you all with the music theory behind it all, though.
12-03-2011, 06:49 PM,
Hmm, I just like it or I don't, haha.
I do like some kinds of melody's more than others, though.
With love,
HiddenKnowledge
A.k.a. Yoruichi Shihouin

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me trough email or pm. :)
01-18-2012, 02:41 AM,
It's the sound for me.

It's important how it sounds, and the second thing is the lyrics. But this points will not work, with music like Ambient or Space Dreams, since there is in 90% no lyrics, so the sound and melody of the song is important in this case.

In other cases, it's the video. Sometimes a song does not sound good without a video.
01-28-2012, 10:29 AM,
The sound overall is what determines if it works for me or not.. this includes the lyrics, beat, and so forth. :)
[Image: xNqYg6]