Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android or iOs ?
08-08-2011, 06:10 AM,
Android or iOs ?
Which matter most to you ?
im a current ios user ( ipod touch 4th )
i think Android will become the most popular mobile os platform in the future ( all US carrier have phone that run android, but only two US carrier ( atm ) selling phone that run iOS)

IMO
android = open source, customizable, a little on a buggy side ( depend of phone ).
iOS = close source, not that customizable, running smoothly.

so give me your opinions.
08-08-2011, 04:52 PM,
RE: Android or iOs ?
iOS is certainly solid but the fact that it is not open source irks me a bit. Apple has always been far too proprietary over the years and it's caused me to stray away from their products. You shouldn't have to jailbreak an iPhone just to use an app that hasn't been approved by an app store with shoddy marketing tactics.

Android is far more convenient and supports a much vaster array of applications because of it's open source abilities and it's superior interface. The phones it is on however seem to be lacking, at least from my experience. An iPhone with Android would be phenomenal.
08-19-2011, 10:23 AM,
I do like iOS, but it has a two major flaws that make Android more widespread:
  1. The closed app store, first of all. A limited app ecosystem is no good. I understand the need to prevent the average consumer from downloading potentially harmful stuff, but I think the way that Apple handled that problem could have been done better. They could have added a special section to the App Store where you can download unapproved/potentially dangerous apps, with a warning attached. But no. They dumbed it down because they think that's what consumers want, and Android proved otherwise.
  2. The operating system is limited to Apple products. The reason that Android is so popular is not simply because it is a superior operating system, but because it is available on hundreds of devices. iOS is only on two modern-generation systems. I know about ten friends who own Android phones, and not a single one has the same phone. But they all run Android.
Hi! I'm Zach, and I founded NiftyHost. If you need anything, just PM me! :)
08-20-2011, 07:17 AM,
I'm currently using iOS; I have an iPhone 4G. If I had to choose between iOS and Android based on their current efficiency reviews, I'd pick Android. As you said, Android works on an open source and custumizable, and even though some of the models have bugs I'm sure it won't be long before they are fixed and Android perfects their service.
08-26-2011, 10:45 AM,
I am currently using IOS, Iphone & Ipad. I have used both an android phone and tablet and neither was impressive. Very buggy and laggy. I think it has some potential but they really need to get some focused people working on it. Apple may be proprietary but their tablets and programs work. I am rooting for android since open source products should be the dominating market.
08-28-2011, 01:03 AM,
Android I'm currently using the xperia x10 but it does need a few more tweaks.But overall IOS is the best choice from my pint of view.
11-29-2011, 01:38 PM,
I much prefer Android. It has much more freedom to do what you want. iOS has a very defined purpose and rigid structure, and if that is your purpose in your technology then it's great for you. It runs smoothly, all of its features work great, it looks nice, everything is compatible with everything else within iOS. But the problem is that it's very limiting. If Apple doesn't want you to do something, you can't do it. Android is an OS that gives you a base to start on and navigate at a basic level, but the opportunities are endless - you can do what you want; you are not limited by the corporation. Of course, it all comes down to what you personally prefer.
12-02-2011, 12:07 PM,
(08-08-2011, 06:10 AM)ttpm15 Wrote: Which matter most to you ?
i think Android will become the most popular mobile os platform in the future ( all US carrier have phone that run android, but only two US carrier ( atm ) selling phone that run iOS)

IMO
android = open source, customizable, a little on a buggy side ( depend of phone ).

the fact that android is open source, makes it much muuuch more dangerous.
Androids have been known to have viruses running around there apps...that give hackers full control of the phone/tablet...even if its to turn the device off, or on.

Apple has done a very nice job on iOS,
it has an app store that's not opened for any one to upload what ever app they want to..
and they have more than 1 million apps...
^which makes it safer..

but androids not bad on other areas...
12-02-2011, 02:36 PM,
(12-02-2011, 12:07 PM)Gabriel Wrote: the fact that android is open source, makes it much muuuch more dangerous.
Androids have been known to have viruses running around there apps...that give hackers full control of the phone/tablet...even if its to turn the device off, or on.

it has an app store that's not opened for any one to upload what ever app they want to..
^which makes it safer..

• Having viruses in App Store has no relationship with whether Android is open source. It only means applications in Android App Store are not carefully reviewed.
  • Being open-source does not mean being more dangerous. Microsoft has a large enough workforce for Windows and still every week they are exposing a few security bugs in it, while security bugs for Linux kernel are terribly rare.
  • Apple carefully reviews the apps in its App Store and keeps a strict standard also means they could decide what you see and what you could not see on your phone. like a Big Brother -- and yes, they are doing this right now.
Gentoo Linux User (w/ fvwm) / Loyal Firefox User / Owner of a Stupid Old Computer - My PGP Public Key

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
-- Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions (1624), John Donn
12-02-2011, 07:28 PM,
(12-02-2011, 12:07 PM)Gabriel Wrote:
(08-08-2011, 06:10 AM)ttpm15 Wrote: Which matter most to you ?

IMO

the fact that android is open source, makes it much muuuch more dangerous.

^which makes it safer..

Android doesn't give hackers full control over the phone/tablet. The market asks if you want to allow the phone to do specific things. There's also special software that allows you to further manage the apps rights (but these often require your phone to be 'rooted'.)
With love,
HiddenKnowledge
A.k.a. Yoruichi Shihouin

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me trough email or pm. :)