[tut] Keeping your postquality up.
04-24-2011, 03:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2011, 08:35 PM by HiddenKnowledge.)
Information  [tut] Keeping your postquality up.
Here are some tips on keeping your postquality up:

1. Don't make posts with ALL-CAPS.
  2. Check your posts for typing errors.
  3. Preview your posts! :)
  4. If you're not sure how to type a word, try google :)
  5. If you say something like Cool/good, Boring/stupid, then explain *why* you think it's cool/stupid.
  6. Have your own opinion, don't copy other people's opinion.
  7. Contribute to the thread, make sure people think your posts are interesting.

If anyone has any other tips, please tell me. :)
Edit: Keep them coming :)
With love,
HiddenKnowledge
A.k.a. Yoruichi Shihouin

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me trough email or pm. :)
04-24-2011, 02:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2011, 07:59 PM by RichardGv.)
RE: [tut] Keeping your postquality up.
Good guide, HK. A sad fact is the primary factor of the quality of a person's posts is his/her attitude. Unless you write them into the forum rules (which many users don't read at all) and enforce them with moderation power, any kind of guidelines is unlikely to help much. If one wishes to post posts with high quality, he will find a way to do it himself; if he doesn't, then no (plain & pale) suggestions will be ever be listened.

Anyways, some additional points:
  • Use BBCode (Well, these guys gave it another name "MyCode"?) to clarify your point and save people's time when you compose a lengthy message. But no excessively. Colorized BBCode (the nasty thing that gives each character in your post a different color), particularly, looks intolerable.
  • Do not reply at all, if you think you are just going to say thanks or this thread is "very helpful" (unless you are the person who starts the thread that asks a particular question). Most users love that thank button better.
  • A poll thread that asks questions that are way too general is usually an invitation to disaster -- well, it sometimes isn't. But double think before you create such a thread.
  • Read the date of a thread, before you reply. Dragging the remaining of an thread from its grave is quite a sickening thing.
  • Avoid asking about what you already know, or what you are supposed to know, not on purpose, especially.
  • The "search" button is placed there not just because the six letters look particularly artistic than other letters. Make sure you search before asking about anything. Duplicate threads shall always be brutally chopped to pieces.
  • If you think there are chances that your description (in English) cannot be comprehended by others, please consult your parents, friends, or neighbors who know the language better.
  • Rare abbreviations / acronyms may puzzle other users. There are many users who have English as their second or third language in the forum. So be careful when using them.
  • Silence makes you wise, or at least it makes you look wise. :D (Oww, I am not wise at all even though I'm silent!)

By the way, I'm feeling so guilty that I haven't posted a single post recently. I read all the new posts everyday, and I am never able to find a thread to which I could reply. (Surely, that's the consequence if you focus on post quality too much. :D ) I'm considering carrying out another big update to my Python script, but I guess nobody would care about it anymore...
Gentoo Linux User (w/ fvwm) / Loyal Firefox User / Owner of a Stupid Old Computer - My PGP Public Key

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
-- Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions (1624), John Donn
04-24-2011, 08:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2011, 08:35 PM by HiddenKnowledge.)
RE: [tut] Keeping your postquality up.
(04-24-2011, 02:32 PM)RichardGv Wrote: Good guide, HK. A sad fact is the primary factor of the quality of a person's posts is his/her attitude. Unless you write them into the forum rules (which many users don't read at all) and enforce them with moderation power, any kind of guidelines is unlikely to help much. If one wishes to post posts with high quality, he will find a way to do it himself; if he doesn't, then no (plain & pale) suggestions will be ever be listened.

[spoiler='Anyways, some additional points:']
  • Use BBCode (Well, these guys gave it another name "MyCode"?) to clarify your point and save people's time when you compose a lengthy message. But no excessively. Colorized BBCode (the nasty thing that gives each character in your post a different color), particularly, looks intolerable.
  • Do not reply at all, if you think you are just going to say thanks or this thread is "very helpful" (unless you are the person who starts the thread that asks a particular question). Most users love that thank button better.
  • A poll thread that asks questions that are way too general is usually an invitation to disaster -- well, it sometimes isn't. But double think before you create such a thread.
  • Read the date of a thread, before you reply. Dragging the remaining of an thread from its grave is quite a sickening thing.
  • Avoid asking about what you already know, or what you are supposed to know, not on purpose, especially.
  • The "search" button is placed there not just because the six letters look particularly artistic than other letters. Make sure you search before asking about anything. Duplicate threads shall always be brutally chopped to pieces.
  • If you think there are chances that your description (in English) cannot be comprehended by others, please consult your parents, friends, or neighbors who know the language better.
  • Rare abbreviations / acronyms may puzzle other users. There are many users who have English as their second or third language in the forum. So be careful when using them.
  • Silence makes you wise, or at least it makes you look wise. :D (Oww, I am not wise at all even though I'm silent!)
[/spoiler]

By the way, I'm feeling so guilty that I haven't posted a single post recently. I read all the new posts everyday, and I am never able to find a thread to which I could reply. (Surely, that's the consequence if you focus on post quality too much. :D ) I'm considering carrying out another big update to my Python script, but I guess nobody would care about it anymore...

[offtopic]I know atleast one person that uses your script, so be sure to post all those updates :) Though I'd like to discuss some things about it before you do.[/offtopic]

I have already included this topic in the rules, I recently updated them and made this thread for that purpose :)
With love,
HiddenKnowledge
A.k.a. Yoruichi Shihouin

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me trough email or pm. :)