How To Run A Board Forum Like myBB And SMF in Your Own PC [just for fun]!
07-07-2010, 05:28 AM,
RE: How To Run A Board Forum Like myBB And SMF in Your Own PC [just for fun]!
(06-30-2010, 11:43 PM)Vanilla Wrote:
Quote:A server is designed to run 24x7, but if you want a desktop computer to run 24x7... It's going to overheat and burn your house someday.

Well, that's mostly correct for older desktop pc's, but the newer generation of desktop computers can easily act as servers for small to medium sized websites, and last without overheating. It all depends on your configuration of the BIOS settings, and which- and how you've setup your operating system. (Linux of course), and it also depends on you to keep it free of dust and such.

The biggest downer is the cost in electricity, which can end up costing you alot, taking an example that a modern yet energy efficient computer uses around 70-150 watts (i guess), that can end costing you around 60 to 100 dollars a year (depending on where you live), and by the time i've calculated that out, i've found it more feasibly to just rent a VPS for about 10-20$ a month, maybe less, maybe more.

So, yes you're right, a desktop PC might not be the best to use as a server, but it's not necessarily because of instability or overheating, but more due to it not being economically feasible considering the alternatives.

building linux or unix servers is more stable than the windows' one?
just a silly question...

Messages In This Thread
RE: How To Run A Board Forum Like myBB And SMF in Your Own PC [just for fun]! - by khy - 07-07-2010, 05:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Forum New Posts Notifier for NiftyHost RichardGv 20 14,665 05-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Last Post: RichardGv