Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matrix-style vertical chicken farms
03-11-2012, 12:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2012, 11:58 AM by RichardGv.)
RE: Matrix-style vertical chicken farms
(03-10-2012, 03:21 AM)Vanilla Wrote: As if questions to questions wasn't enough, I almost feel obliged to create even more questions (like how do you actually define an animal, considering a jellyfish is considered an animal, yet doesn't have a brain nor a central nervous system. On the other hand, some microbes/cells aren't usually considered animals, yet doesn't differ than much from jellyfishes). But to keep the topic from becoming too complex, I'll refrain from asking more questions :)

I didn't pose these questions randomly. They together provided a logical chain leading to the result "the chicken farms is moral" or "is immoral".

I drew a flowchart with Dia comparing the ideal (logical) process and the actual process to determine whether the chicken farm idea is good or not. It's not that perfect but it shows my thought.

.png   post.png (Size: 107.98 KB / Downloads: 6)

But even the ideal thought process is not logical, as the answers of each question in the ideal thought process are not generated by a logical thought process, either. :) When it comes to ethical issues there's truly no logic anywhere.

(03-10-2012, 03:21 AM)Vanilla Wrote: Anyway, I forgot to give my own opinion about this. I wouldn't really mind if these factories were put to function. Humans need meat (not biologically, since those nutrients can be found elsewhere), but because we are consumers. Humans have eaten meat since the dawn of time (just like other carnivorous animals), and functioning meat vats doesn't currently exist (AFAIK). This change of production pipeline not only makes the life less miserable for these animals, it also optimizes the productivity.

It's the answer most people will give out after carefully considering the issue, and the ultimate answer a human could reach, standing on the interests and beliefs of humans. :)

When I'm talking about this issue, Vanilla, by the way, I always have the fear that human meat could someday be produced in a pipeline like how they produce chicken. In the past, if we need some chicken meat, we kill some chicken directly, and we could feel how a life passes away; then trade appeared, and only a small set of people, butchers, knew the feeling; now for us, every piece of meat seems appearing mysteriously in the supermarket, and most people never have the chance to ever see what the chicken you just ate looks like when it's alive. The lives are no longer lives, they are called "goods" (just like how industrialization turns workers to robots, that could talk), and eating these "goods" never raise a small piece of mourn, even though they used to be lives, as heavy and important as the the lives of ourselves. Every step we enhance our "productivity", we lose feelings about what a "life" means. Could you imagine, if someday in the future human meat appear on shelves of supermarkets, we would take it off from the shelf, bring it home, cook it, and eat it on our tables like eat chicken, not caring that it used to be a human that could think, run, play like us? Say, what is the difference of chicken and human meat when they are both put on the shelves? Should we remove a human's brain and cut his feet down to conserve space when producing human meat, too?
Gentoo Linux User (w/ fvwm) / Loyal Firefox User / Owner of a Stupid Old Computer - My PGP Public Key

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
-- Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions (1624), John Donn

Messages In This Thread
Matrix-style vertical chicken farms - by Vanilla - 03-09-2012, 05:23 AM
RE: Matrix-style vertical chicken farms - by RichardGv - 03-11-2012, 12:49 AM