Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matrix-style vertical chicken farms
03-09-2012, 12:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM by RichardGv.)
RE: Matrix-style vertical chicken farms
Firstly, the link is broken. :)

Ethical problems have no fixed answers. Everybody could give a different one based on the environment and education.

For this particular issue, I could turn the ethical problem into some separate questions:
  • Is splitting or disabling certain parts of a living animal more moral, or killing them ("All or Nothing!") is? We don't consider brain yet here.
  • Is removing the thinking ability of an animal moral? Should brain be treated differently?
  • What is more important for an animal? To be alive, or to be able to think? Is killing an animal moral, or killing his brain moral?
  • Which one is better, death (from overgrowth), living painfully with thinking ability, or living without the thinking ability?
  • Even if we think to live without thinking ability is better, do humans have the right to decide which choice is better for an animal who has the ability to think itself, when there's no way could we learn how it feels?
  • Could an animal be considered "died" or transformed to "plant" if its brain is removed or disabled? Does the state of the brain decide an animal's identity?
  • Is torturing an animal who cannot perceive moral? This is closed tied to the previous question of the animal's "identity".
  • Where is the border between a human and another kind animal, when they both have thinking ability? Are animal's "thinking" and human's "reasoning" really different?
  • What is different between different kinds of animals? We eat chickens, but why not dogs? If we could remove brains from chickens, could we do the same on dogs?
  • If someday our population grow too much that to keep humans alive we must remove/disable brain of the chickens, does it become moral?
Note, many questions are not limited to other kinds of animals, but humans could be considered, too. Like, is torturing a human moral if he cannot feel it at all? Could we decide on whether we could cut off the brain of another human? Is a human still different from other kinds of animals if he loses his brain?

We could keep arguing for each issue for a whole year, without getting any results, because they truly depends on what you have seen, what you have done, what you have learned, in your life. And even worse, since we answer these questions mostly based on our feelings instead of logic, it's quite possible we could eventually get contradicting answers from the same person's mouth.

Oh, well, and my personal opinion about the ethical problem is, I don't know. I made the question way too complicated and I am lost. :D

The economical problem is left for the scientists and businessmen. Not something we should care about.

For the "rationally" part, if it exists, it is reasonable.
Gentoo Linux User (w/ fvwm) / Loyal Firefox User / Owner of a Stupid Old Computer - My PGP Public Key

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
-- Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions (1624), John Donn

Messages In This Thread
Matrix-style vertical chicken farms - by Vanilla - 03-09-2012, 05:23 AM
RE: Matrix-style vertical chicken farms - by RichardGv - 03-09-2012, 12:27 PM