Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If the government found intelligent alien life should it keep it a secret?
08-03-2011, 07:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM by HiddenKnowledge.)
If the government found intelligent alien life should it keep it a secret?
If the government found intelligent alien life should it keep the findings a secret?

Personally, I would argue yes. I know many people would say that it is a right to be informed, but these people forget the military, political, and economic implications of such an announcement. Not to mention the mass panic that would be spread like wildfire.

What do you think?
08-03-2011, 09:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2011, 09:37 AM by Zach.)
RE: If the government found intelligent alien life should it keep the findings a secret?
I think that military secrets are military secrets for a reason. The government has no obligation to tell its citizens everything about everything they do, especially if it would cause a panic.
Hi! I'm Zach, and I founded NiftyHost. If you need anything, just PM me! :)
08-03-2011, 10:33 AM,
RE: If the government found intelligent alien life should it keep the findings a secret?
Things like that should be kept a secret for the purpose of avoiding unnecessary scare to the public. People don't know how to handle the unveiling of information like that. As a better of fact, if we knew everything the government is keeping a secret of as we speak, I think we'd all have a very different view of our country.
08-10-2011, 12:50 AM,
I totally agree with all of you. I believe that if this happens, the people would freak out! And things might get worse. So it's better for the government to be discreet about this. Maybe they could open this up for the public as soon as everything goes into their full control.
08-10-2011, 02:06 AM,
It's really obvious they will never tell us, or will do it overtime and partially like we are just learning what really happened with the early Apollo expeditions to the moon.

If it took 40 years to reveal a few facts, figure out the chaos if the masses heard about intelligent life out there in the universe.

It's more likely many of us will associate this finding with some Hollywood productions where aliens are evil beings wanting to dominate or even destroy our planet.
MyDigitalpoint PRO Freelance Marketplace
08-15-2011, 07:59 AM,
Yes of course they would.

Human beings are aggressive survivalist creatures institutionally but intelligent sentient secondary. We do not react to strange and new things as a whole very well at first.

Not to mention many religions center around the idea that we are the only beings in the universe. Some religious nuts would for sure try to attack any aliens that visited our planet if the government didn't hide them, thinking they were some sign of armageddon or something.
08-23-2011, 04:02 AM,
If there is alien life making itself present on this planet and the military knows about it, I think it'd be great if they informed us about it. But of course, being that it's a huge deal, I would respect their decision to keep it a secret. The world is not a place where people can just say and do certain things because of the way others react to it so, if everyone new of this, it'd create a huge chaos and fear within society.
08-23-2011, 06:56 AM,
I think they are obligated to tell us, but I wouldn't blame them for hiding it, when it is to prevent harm to humanity.
If they can prove the 'aliens' are friendly, they should announce it to the world.
If they can prove the 'aliens' are enemy's, they should too.
So, yes, I agree that it should be kept a secret untill they can confirm one of those two.

If the aliens are most likely already dead or unlikely to reach our planet any time soon and they cannot confirm whether they are friendly or not, I think the goverment should be the one to decide whether to tell the people or not. But when in doubt, I would tell them (slowly), since lying won't help anyone in the end.

Obviously, this is just my opinion.
With love,
HiddenKnowledge
A.k.a. Yoruichi Shihouin

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me trough email or pm. :)
10-18-2011, 08:03 AM,
...Funny. My thought is, only speculating, they may have already found it. What is that place that is out west? Section 59 or something? There are a lot of things the federal government does, that is not shared with the public for various reasons. Some of the things they do not share, I would not be interested in knowing. There was some memo that was uncovered, which showed that the U. S. was helping Iran in some particular way, don't ask me what it was, I cannot remenmber and was totally surprised, when I heard about the connection.
10-18-2011, 08:29 AM,
(10-18-2011, 08:03 AM)artistry Wrote: ...Funny. My thought is, only speculating, they may have already found it. What is that place that is out west? Section 59 or something? There are a lot of things the federal government does, that is not shared with the public for various reasons. Some of the things they do not share, I would not be interested in knowing. There was some memo that was uncovered, which showed that the U. S. was helping Iran in some particular way, don't ask me what it was, I cannot remenmber and was totally surprised, when I heard about the connection.

It's very unlikely that they we haven't been visited by some other species. We've had massive technological jumps and breakthroughs that are almost without a doubt based on reverse engineering alien technology.