NiftyHost Forums (Archive)
James "Avatar" Cameron wants Mars in 3D - Printable Version

+- NiftyHost Forums (Archive) (https://niftyhost.chary.us/support)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://niftyhost.chary.us/support/forum-20.html)
+--- Forum: News (https://niftyhost.chary.us/support/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: James "Avatar" Cameron wants Mars in 3D (/thread-210.html)

James "Avatar" Cameron wants Mars in 3D - Vanilla - 05-12-2010

Quote:LOS ANGELES — After immersing movie-goers in the dazzling imaginary world of Pandora, "Avatar" director James Cameron is training his 3-D camera on a planet closer to home: Mars.

The Pasadena Star News reported Thursday that the Oscar-winning filmmaker has persuaded NASA to install a high-resolution 3-D camera on the next generation Mars rover, Curiosity, due to launch in 2011.

Cameron had lobbied NASA administrator Charles Bolden directly in a meeting in January, the newspaper reported.

Cameron, whose science-fiction epic "Avatar" has earned more than 2.7 billion dollars worldwide, argued that a rover with 3-D "eyes" would better help to capture public imagination in the mission.

"He actually was really open to the idea," Cameron was quoted by the newspaper as saying. "Our first meeting went very well."

The report said NASA had purchased a 3-D camera that would be rigged to a mast on top of Curiosity.

"It's a very ambitious mission. It's a very exciting mission," Cameron said. "(The scientists are) going to answer a lot of really important questions about the previous and potential future habitability of Mars."

Yay! I've always wanted to see them little green men in 3D :)
I didn't really like Avatar, but I think this is a good idea. Seeing the place in 3D is a good first step, at sending a manned mission up there.

Source: Google News

RE: James "Avatar" Cameron wants Mars in 3D - BarnD - 05-12-2010

sounds awesome, it is a good idea

RE: James "Avatar" Cameron wants Mars in 3D - maniaC - 05-13-2010

Mars? I don't see what's so great about it.

RE: James "Avatar" Cameron wants Mars in 3D - Vanilla - 05-14-2010

(05-13-2010, 04:20 PM)Sim Wrote: Mars? I don't see what's so great about it.

Considering it will most likely be a human colony in the future (like a 100 years or so), it's quite neat that we'll get to see the Martian terrain and nature in 3-dimensions, so the general public will get a better feel of it. Besides, it the onliest solid planets in the solar system we can view like that (besides Earth), as both Mercury and Venus' gravitation, pressure and temperature makes it impossible with the current imaging equipment to take usable footages of the surface.

RE: James "Avatar" Cameron wants Mars in 3D - khy - 05-29-2010

it sounds good
maybe it is a good point

RE: James "Avatar" Cameron wants Mars in 3D - Render_07 - 11-23-2010

Wow...
Nice idea on making 3d of Mars..
It can be any simulation for any astronauts before proceeding to Mars...:D

RE: James "Avatar" Cameron wants Mars in 3D - HiddenKnowledge - 11-26-2010

Eehm, is it just me or is this just wasting time?
Send those astronauts there already :P